Friday, October 02, 2009

Our Day of Service!

The firm I work at has joined forces with our Central Area Capital Food Bank of Austin. The next couple of months are jam packed with Community Service events and I couldn't be more excited.
Today we were able to volunteer, during work hours, for a day of caring. If you have never done this before, I am not going to lie, it is definitely hard work, but worth every second of it!
So this brings me to what I want to blog about today, and well probably for the whole weekend. It is so amazing how much they get in donations as far as perishable goods, but today I saw the other end, and it blew my mind how much of those donations never make it a home! Due to the strict regulations and quality of products donated so much can not be given out.
My job today was throwing out all the items that could not be kept, preparing boxes to be filled and lids to be used, but WOW, I broke a sweat walking back and forth to the dumpsters, and it broke my heart each time, thinking man think about how much more we could do if we could use ALL of this! The fight against hunger is huge, and everything counts!
I had so much fun with my co-workers, and our new friends we met. Together we were able to process and prepare a little over 4,000 meals! I am truly blessed that this is part of my job!
So, this made me really want to get a little message out, since Thanksgiving and the holiday season is approaching and there is usually a spike in donations, especially food...just some things to remember, so that every product counts....
1. Watch the dents, because if they are too big they can't be used
2. No open boxes or bags
3. Check expiration dates
4. Make sure both ingredients and nutritional facts are on each container you donate, or it can't be used.
5. No used products
6. No cans with air
Well that is what we saw alot of today, and it just hurt me that we couldn't use a large amount of what we were going through!
Humbled. C.

0 comments: